EPL Cars Ltd is a family run passenger transport company, created to provide transport services predominantly for Home to School and Adult transport type services for people with disabilities. All our services are run under full passenger vehicle operator’s licence regulations. Vehicles are Minibus size, and some are accessible vehicles to provide transport to wheelchair users.
We have been awarded a contract in Bedford that will operate out of a locally based depot. It is our intention to continue to look for more work in and around the area to help support this contract and grow the business.
Main Purpose of the Job
The role of the PCV driver is to EPL Cars Ltd with professional driving services that support our work or contracts and most importantly, our passengers. Successful candidates will need to hold a valid full category D (PSV) or a D1 (unrestricted minibus) driving licence as well as a CPC qualification card. The nature of our work will require the candidate to demonstrate an understanding of disability issues and deliver the service with a patient, calm and helpful attitude.
PCV Drivers will generally be required to work between 20 and 25hrs per week depending upon the route allocation. Home to school services are generally paid on a split shift basis from 07:00 to 10:00 and 14:00 to 17:00. These are the general times of the routes but are subject to slight variations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Driving in a manner that ensures the safety and comfort of passengers.
- Consideration for other road users when driving, parking and manoeuvring.
- Ensuring mandatory vehicle checks are undertaken every time a vehicle is used to ensure roadworthiness.
- Report vehicle defects in line with depot processes.
- Ensure the vehicle allocated is secure at all times whilst in use.
- Ensure all vehicle equipment and passenger safety equipment is correctly utilised ensuring the safe, smooth and efficient running of the service.
- Ensure that any vehicle used has adequate fuel for any journey.
- Refuel vehicle as and when required or instructed.
- Ensure vehicle is cleaned inside and outside as required (weekly).
- Ensure vehicle is parked correctly and secure upon return to depot.
- Ensure all driver records and tachographs are carried when required to adhere to Driver Hours and Working time directives.
- Operate any passenger lift or other equipment that is used to assist passengers boarding and alighting the vehicle as required and in line guidelines or instructions.
- Assist passengers with vehicle boarding and alighting including helping with luggage or other personal effects.
- Ensure any wheelchairs are correctly located and secured using suitable equipment.
- Ensure passengers in wheelchairs are secured with a full lap and diagonal safety belt or other securing equipment. Training will be provided for transporting wheelchairs.
- Always act and perform duties in a professional and caring manner.
- Communicate with passengers and clients in a patient, informative, non-patronising manner.
- Support Passenger Assistants as required in performance of their duties
- Adherence to and promotion of Equality policy at all times.
- To comply with the statutory provision of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and any other relevant legislation or policies and procedures relating to health and safety and good working practice.
- Adherence to all company procedures and codes of conduct relating to the role.
- Assist where required in the undertaking of risk assessments involving passenger, vehicles and any other area that may be associated with the vehicle or its equipment.
- Ensure that duties start punctually by reporting for duty at the specified times and ensure all services run to agreed times.
- Maintain good working relations with all members of staff.
- Wear appropriate clothing and high viz jackets at all times when on duty and ensure garments are kept in a clean, hygienic and presentable condition at all times.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as directed by line management or the Directorate.
Salary - Competitive Rates
Contract Hours - 20 to 25 hours School Term only
If this is something which interests you please click the apply button...